[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] how to handle AZ bug 1496235?

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at internap.com
Thu Sep 24 16:16:43 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-24 11:53 AM, Walter A. Boring IV wrote:
> The good thing about the Nova and Cinder clients/APIs is that
> anyone can write a quick python script to do the orchestration
> themselves, if we want to deprecate this.  I'm all for deprecating this.

I don't like this kind of reasoning which can justify close to anything.
It's easy to make those suggestions when you know Python. Please
consider non-technical/non-developers users when suggesting deprecating
features or proposing alternative solutions.

I could also say (in bad faith, I know): why have Heat when you can
write your own Python script. And yet, I don't think we would appreciate
anyone making such a controversial statement.

Our users don't know Python, use 3rd party tools (which don't often
perform/support orchestration) or the Horizon dashboard. They don't want
to have to learn Heat or Python so they can orchestrate volume creation
in place of Nova for a single instance. You don't write CloudFormation
templates on AWS just to boot an instance on volume. That's not the UX I
want to offer to my users.

--
Mathieu