[openstack-dev] repairing so many OpenStack components writing configuration files in /usr/etc

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Thu Sep 24 15:03:28 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 10:57:48AM -0400, Steve Martinelli wrote:

> just a general FYI - so for pyCADF (and I'm guessing others), it was a very
> subtle error:
>
> https://github.com/openstack/pycadf/commit/4e70ff2e6204f74767c5cab13f118d72c2594760
>
> Essentially the entry points in setup.cfg were missing a leading slash.

I would actually view adding the leading slash as a bug in the setup.cfg. You
don't want your package trying to write to /etc when you're installing it inside
a venv without as a user that doesn't have write access to /etc.

Which is exactly why that commit was reverted over a year ago:

https://github.com/openstack/pycadf/commit/39a99398ce79067b1ae98e7273a8b47eb576bb54

-Matt Treinish