[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] how to handle AZ bug 1496235?

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Wed Sep 23 20:31:18 UTC 2015

Le 23/09/2015 22:15, Andrew Laski a écrit :
> On 09/23/15 at 01:45pm, John Griffith wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> ​To be honest this is probably my fault, AZ's were pulled in as part
>> of the
>> nova-volume migration to Cinder and just sort of died.  Quite frankly I
>> wasn't sure "what" to do with them but brought over the concept and the
>> zones that existing in Nova-Volume.  It's been an issue since day 1 of
>> Cinder, and as you note there are little hacks here and there over the
>> years to do different things.
>>
>> I think your question about whether they should be there at all or
>> not is a
>> good one.  We have had some interest from folks lately that want to
>> couple
>> Nova and Cinder AZ's (I'm really not sure of any details or use-cases
>> here).
>>
>> My opinion would be until somebody proposes a clear use case and need
>> that
>> actually works that we consider deprecating it.
>
> I've heard some discussion about trying to use coupled AZs in order to
> schedule volumes close to instances.  However I think that is
> occurring because it's possible to do that, not because that would be
> a good way to handle the coordinated scheduling problem.

So, while I think it's understandable to have that done, since Nova AZs
are related to compute nodes and Cinder AZs could be related to volumes,
I'd tend to ask Cinder to rename the AZ concept into something else less
confusing.

Also, there is a long story about trying to have Cinder provide
resources to the Nova scheduler so that we could have volume affinity
when booting, so I would prefer to go that way instead of trying to
misuse AZs.

I'm about to ask for a Nova/Cinder/Neutron room at the Summit to discuss
how Cinder and Neutron could provide resources to the scheduler, I'd
love to get feedback from those teams there.

  -Sylvain