[openstack-dev] [releases] semver and dependency changes

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Tue Sep 22 18:43:13 UTC 2015

On 23 September 2015 at 02:03, Thierry Carrez <thierry at openstack.org> wrote:
> Robert Collins wrote:
>> [...]
>> So, one answer we can use is "The version impact of a requirements
>> change is never less than the largest version change in the change."
>> That is:
>> nothing -> a requirement -> major version change
>
> That feels a bit too much. In a lot of cases, the added requirement will
> be used in a new, backward-compatible feature (requiring y bump), or
> will serve to remove code without changing functionality (requiring z
> bump). I would think that the cases where a new requirement requires a x
> bump are rare.

So the question is 'will requiring this new thing force any users of
the library to upgrade past a major version of that new thing'. If its
new to OpenStack, then the answer is clearly no, for users of the
library within OpenStack, but we don't know about users outside of
OpenStack'. I am entirely happy to concede that this should be case by
case though.

>> 1.x.y -> 2.0.0 -> major version change
>> 1.2.y -> 1.3.0 -> minor version change
>> 1.2.3. -> 1.2.4 -> patch version change
>
> The last two sound like good rules of thumb.

What about the one you didn't comment on ? :)

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>
Distinguished Technologist