[openstack-dev] [all] Consistent support for SSL termination proxies across all API services

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Tue Sep 22 11:00:02 UTC 2015

On 09/18/2015 02:30 PM, Ben Nemec wrote:
> I've been dealing with this issue lately myself, so here's my two cents:
>
> It seems to me that solving this at the service level is actually kind
> of wrong.  As you've discovered, that requires changes in a bunch of
> different places to address what is really an external issue.  Since
> it's the terminating proxy that is converting HTTPS traffic to HTTP that
> feels like the right place for a fix IMHO.
>
> My solution has been to have the proxy (HAProxy in my case) rewrite the
> Location header on redirects (one example for the TripleO puppet config
> here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223330/1/manifests/loadbalancer.pp).
>
> I'm not absolutely opposed to having a way to make the services aware of
> external SSL termination to allow use of a proxy that can't do header
> rewriting, but I think proxy configuration should be the preferred way
> to handle it.

My feeling on this one is that we've got this thing in OpenStack... the
Service Catalog. It definitively tells the world what the service
addresses are.

We should use that in the services themselves to reflect back their
canonical addresses. Doing point solution rewriting of urls seems odd
when we could just have Nova/Cinder/etc return documents with URLs that
match what's in the service catalog for that service.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
http://dague.net