[openstack-dev] [neutron] Neutron debugging tool

Nodir Kodirov nodir.qodirov at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 16:17:49 UTC 2015

Hello,

I am planning to develop a tool for network debugging. Initially, it
will handle DVR case, which can also be extended to other too. Based
on my OpenStack deployment/operations experience, I am planning to
handle common pitfalls/misconfigurations, such as:
1) check external gateway validity
2) check if appropriate qrouter/qdhcp/fip namespaces are created in
compute/network hosts
3) execute probing commands inside namespaces, to verify reachability
4) etc.

I came across neutron-debug [1], which mostly focuses on namespace
debugging. Its coverage is limited to OpenStack, while I am planning
to cover compute/network nodes as well. In my experience, I had to ssh
to the host(s) to accurately diagnose the failure (e.g., 1, 2 cases
above). The tool I am considering will handle these, given the host
credentials.

I'd like get community's feedback on utility of such debugging tool.
Do people use neutron-debug on their OpenStack environment? Does the
tool I am planning to develop with complete diagnosis coverage sound
useful? Anyone is interested to join the development? All feedback are
welcome.

Thanks,

- Nodir

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/cli-reference/content/neutron-debug_commands.html