[openstack-dev] (NOVA) Is there a Queue maintained for instance requests

Dhvanan Shah dhvanan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 04:55:02 UTC 2015

Hi,

I had a question regarding the process of spawning an instance.
In the whole process from requesting an instance to scheduling to spawning
,is there a queue maintained where the requests go first, like in the case
of a scheduler of any OS that has a queue for jobs to be scheduled.
This question arises as I wanted to look at handling multiple instance
requests at a time and wanted to see if there was a common place where all
the instances get registered first and get spawned after that.

I went through the code base and tried to find if there was a queue. I
tried to traceback from the side of the client
-> create    ( in nova/api/openstack/compute/servers.py ) api server that
handles all the requests
->create and _create_instance (in nova/compute/api.py) that handle all the
requests regarding the compute resources.
->build_instances (nova/conductor/manager.py) handles all the db operations
from here on the request is sent to the scheduler that return a host for
the instance.

So I'm not sure if I missed it but I was not able to find any queue where
the requests are being registered. Could someone please help me understand
how this works.

Cheers!
--
Dhvanan Shah