[openstack-dev] [cinder] LVM snapshot performance issue -- why isn't thin provisioning the default?

John Griffith john.griffith8 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 17:01:06 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Chris Friesen <chris.friesen at windriver.com>
wrote:

> On 09/18/2015 06:57 AM, Eric Harney wrote:
>
>> On 09/17/2015 06:06 PM, John Griffith wrote:
>>

> Having the "global conf" settings intermixed with the backend sections
>>> caused a number of issues when we first started working on this.  That's
>>> part of why we require the "self.configuration" usage all over in the
>>> drivers.  Each driver instantiation is it's own independent entity.
>>>

>> Yes, each driver instantiation is independent, but that would still be
>> the case if these settings inherited values set in [DEFAULT] when they
>> aren't set in the backend section.
>>

> Agreed.  If I explicitly set something in the [DEFAULT] section, that
> should carry through and apply to all the backends unless overridden in the
> backend-specific section.
>
> Chris

Meh I don't know about the "have to modify the code", the config file works
you just need to add that line to your driver section and configure the
backend correctly.

Regardless, I see your point (but I still certainly don't agree that it's
"blatantly wrong").

Bottom line "yes", ideally in the case of drivers we would check
global/default setting, and then override it if something was provided in
the driver specific setting, or if the driver itself set a different
default.  That seems like the right way to be doing it anyway.  I've looked
at that a bit this morning, the issue is that currently we don't even pass
any of those higher level conf settings in to the drivers init methods
anywhere.  Need to figure out how to change that, then it should be a
relatively simple fix.

Thanks,
John