[openstack-dev] Apache2 vs uWSGI vs ...

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Fri Sep 18 16:01:20 UTC 2015

I thoughts below mention Keystone, but in reality I would apply the same
logic to any OpenStack service.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Boris Bobrov <bbobrov at mirantis.com> wrote:

> There are 2 dimensions this discussion should happen in: web server and
> application server. Now we use apache2 as web server and mod_wsgi as app
> server.

This is exactly true and Keystone should be deployable in an WSGI compliant
application server. If it's not I would consider it a bug.

> I don't have a specific opinion on the app server (mod_wsgi vs uwsgi) and I
> don't really care.
>
> Regarding apache2 vs nginx. I don't see any reasons for the switch.
> Apache2 is
> well known to deployers and sysadmins. It is very rich for modules. I
> wonder
> if there are customer-written modules.

Keystone doesn't use or require Apache. We recommend that it is deployed
using Apache, but there is no requirement to do that if you don't need to
use any Apache modules. For example, at least one of my devstack nodes
happily runs Keystone's manage_all.

 [snip]

> There are things in keystone that work under apache. They are not tested.
> They
> were written to work under apache because it's the simplest and the most
> standard way to do. Making them work in nginx means forcing developers
> write
> some code. You're ready to do that?

This should only be true for optional features and currently require Apache
modules.

> > May be someone does not need something that apache supports and nginx not
> > and needs nginx features which apache does not support. Let's let our
> users
> > decide what they want.
> >
> > And the first step should be simple here - support for uwsgi.
>
> Why uwsgi? Why not gunicorn? Cherrypy? Twisted?

uwsgi and gunicorn should both work fine, as should any WSGI application
server. CherryPy and Twister are more framework than application server, so
I would not expect them to work.

--
David
blog: http://www.traceback.org