[openstack-dev] [all][elections] PTL nomination period is now over

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Fri Sep 18 08:16:11 UTC 2015

Le 17/09/2015 23:09, Nikhil Komawar a écrit :

> On 9/17/15 3:51 PM, Morgan Fainberg wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Kevin Benton <blak111 at gmail.com
>> <mailto:blak111 at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>      It guarantees that if you hit the date deadline local time, that
>>      you won't miss the deadline. It doesn't matter if there are extra
>>      hours afterwards. The idea is that it gets rid of the need to do
>>      time zone conversions.
>>
>>      If we are trying to do some weird optimization where everyone
>>      wants to submit in the last 60 seconds, then sure AOE isn't great
>>      for that because you still have to convert. It doesn't seem to me
>>      like that's what we are trying to do though.
>>
>> Alternatively you give a UTC time (which all of our meetings are in
>> anyway) and set the deadline. Maybe we should be setting the deadline
>> to the western-most timezone (UTC-11/-12?) 23:59 as the deadline. This
>> would simply do what you're stating without having to explain AOE more
>> concretely than "submit by 23:59 your tz day X".
>>
>> I think this is all superfluous however and we should simply encourage
>> people to not wait until the last minute. Waiting to see who is
>> running/what the field looks like isn't as important as standing up
>> and saying you're interested in running.
>>
> I like that you have used the word encourage however, will have to
> disagree here. Life in general can't permit that to everyone -- there
> can be any important things pop up at unexpected time, someone on
> vacation and getting late to come back etc. And on top of that people
> can get caught up particularly at this week.  The time-line for
> proposals is a good idea seems a good idea in general.

That's exactly why the schedule is always proposed in the beginning of
the cycle [1] so that any people interested in becoming PTLs would need
to make sure that they could provide their candidacy (there are 7 days
for proposing).

Also, the policy accepts to have a candidacy proposed by someone else,
just by having the candidate +1'ing the change even after the deadline,
so anyone in vacation can just proxy his candidacy by someone else.

Last but not the least, I assume that people wanting to be PTLs
understand that they are here for helping the community so they have
also to understand how the community works and what its rules are.

-Sylvain

[1]
https://wiki.openstack.org/w/index.php?title=Liberty_Release_Schedule&oldid=78501