[openstack-dev] [neutron] [oslo.privsep] Any progress on privsep?

Angus Lees gus at inodes.org
Fri Sep 18 04:40:34 UTC 2015

On Fri, 18 Sep 2015 at 14:13 Li Ma <skywalker.nick at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi stackers,
>
> Currently we are discussing the possibility of using a pure python
> library to configure network in neutron [1]. We find out that it is
> impossible to do it without privsep, because we run external commands
> which cannot be replaced by python calls via rootwrap.
>
> Privsep has been merged in the Liberty cycle. I just wonder how it is
> going on.
>
> [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1492714

Thanks for your interest :)  This entire cycle has been spent on the spec.
It looks like it might be approved very soon (got the first +2 overnight),
which will then unblock a string of "create new oslo project" changes.

During the spec discussion, the API was changed (for the better).  Now it
looks like the discussion has settled down, I'm getting to work rewriting
it following the new API.  It took me about 2 weeks to write it the first
time around (almost all on testing framework), so I'd expect something of
similar magnitude this time.

I don't make predictions about timelines that rely on the OpenStack review
process, but if you forced me I'd _guess_ it will be ready for projects to
try out early in M.

 - Gus