[openstack-dev] [all][elections] PTL nomination period is now over

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Sep 17 15:26:13 UTC 2015

On 09/17/2015 04:50 PM, Anita Kuno wrote:
> On 09/17/2015 08:22 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>>

>> On 9/17/2015 8:25 AM, Tristan Cacqueray wrote:
>>> PTL Nomination is now over. The official candidate list is available on
>>> the wiki[0].
>>>
>>> There are 5 projects without candidates, so according to this
>>> resolution[1], the TC we'll have to appoint a new PTL for Barbican,
>>> MagnetoDB, Magnum, Murano and Security
>>
>> This is devil's advocate, but why does a project technically need a PTL?
>>   Just so that there can be a contact point for cross-project things,
>> i.e. a lightning rod?  There are projects that do a lot of group
>> leadership/delegation/etc, so it doesn't seem that a PTL is technically
>> required in all cases.
>
> I think that is a great question for the TC to consider when they
> evaluate options for action with these projects.
>
> The election officials are fulfilling their obligation according to the
> resolution:
> http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/resolutions/20141128-elections-process-for-leaderless-programs.rst
>
> If you read the verb there the verb is "can" not "must", I choose the
> verb "can" on purpose for the resolution when I wrote it. The TC has the
> option to select an appointee. The TC can do other things as well,
> should the TC choose.

I agree- and this is a great example of places where human judgement is
better than rules.

For instance - one of the projects had a nominee but it missed the
deadline, so that's probably an easy on.

For one of the projects it had been looking dead for a while, so this is
the final nail in the coffin from my POV

For the other three - I know they're still active projects with people
interested in them, so sorting them out will be fun!