[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Effective Neutron

Armando M. armamig at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 15:20:50 UTC 2015

Hi fellow developers and reviewers,

Some of you may have noticed that I put together patch [1] up for review.

The intention of this initiative is to capture/share 'pills of wisdom' when
it comes to Neutron development and reviewing. In fact, there are a number
of common patterns (or anti-patterns) that we keep stumbling on, and I came
to the realization that if we all stopped for a second and captured those
in writing for any newcomer (or veteran) to see, we would all benefit
during code reviews and development, because we'd all know what to watch
out for. The wishful thinking is that once this document reaches critical
mass, we will all have learned how to avoid common mistakes and get our
patches merged swiftly.

It is particularly aimed at the Neutron contributor and it is not meant to
replace the wealth of information that is available on doc.openstack.org,
the wiki or the Internet. This is also not meant to be a cross-project
effort, because let's face it...every project is different, and pills of
wisdom in Neutron may as well be everyone's knowledge in Heat, etc.

I aim to add more material over the next couple of days, also with the help
of some of you, so bear with me while the patch is in WIP.

Feedback welcome.

Many thanks,
Armando

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/224419/