[openstack-dev] [kolla] Followup to review in gerrit relating to RHOS + RDO types

harm at weites.com harm at weites.com
Wed Sep 16 18:22:49 UTC 2015

There is an apparent need for having official RHOS being supported from
our end, and we just so happen to have the possibility of filling that
need. Should the need arise to support whatever fancy proprietary
backend system or even have Kolla integrate with Oracle Solaris or
something, that need would most probably be backed by a company plus
developer effort. I believe the burden for our current (great) team
would more or less stay the same (eg. lets assume we don't know anything
about Solaris), so this company should ship in devvers to aid their
'wish'. The team effort with these additional devvers would indeed grow,
bigtime. Keeping our eyes on the matters feels like a fair solution,
allowing for these additions while guarding the effort they take. Should
Kolla start supporting LXC besides Docker, that would be awesome
(uhm...) - but I honestly don't see a need to be thinking about that
right now, if someone comes up with a spec about it and wants to invest
time+effort we can atleast review it. We shouldn't prepare our
Dockerfiles for such a possibility though, whereas the difference
between RHOS and CentOS is very little. Hence, support is rather easy to
implement.

The question was if Kolla wants/should support integrating with 3rd
party tools, and I think we should support it. There should be rules,
yes. We probably shouldn't be worrying about proprietary stuff that
other projects hardly take seriously (even though drivers have been
accepted)...

Vote: +1

- harmw