[openstack-dev] [puppet] service default value functions

Alex Schultz aschultz at mirantis.com
Wed Sep 16 16:53:10 UTC 2015

Hey puppet folks,

Based on the meeting yesterday[0], I had proposed creating a parser
function called is_service_default[1] to validate if a variable matched our
agreed upon value of '<SERVICE DEFAULT>'.  This got me thinking about how
can we maybe not use the arbitrary string throughout the puppet that can
not easily be validated.  So I tested creating another puppet function
named service_default[2] to replace the use of '<SERVICE DEFAULT>'
throughout all the puppet modules.  My tests seemed to indicate that you
can use a parser function as parameter default for classes.

I wanted to send a note to gather comments around the second function.
When we originally discussed what to use to designate for a service's
default configuration, I really didn't like using an arbitrary string since
it's hard to parse and validate. I think leveraging a function might be
better since it is something that can be validated via tests and a syntax
checker.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Alex

[0]