[openstack-dev] [relmgt] PTL non-candidacy

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Sep 16 09:33:34 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I have been handling release management for OpenStack since the
beginning of this story, well before Release Management was a program or
a project team needing a proper elected PTL. Until recently it was
largely a one-man job. But starting with this cycle, to accommodate the
Big Tent changes, we grew the team significantly, to the point where I
think it is healthy to set up a PTL rotation in the team.

I generally think it's a good thing to change the PTL for a team from
time to time. That allows different perspectives, skills and focus to be
brought to a project team. That lets you take a step back. That allows
to recognize the efforts and leadership of other members, which is
difficult if you hold on the throne. So I decided to put my foot where
my mouth is and apply those principles to my own team.

That doesn't mean I won't be handling release management for Mitaka, or
that I won't ever be Release Management PTL again -- it's just that
someone else will take the PTL hat for the next cycle, drive the effort
and be the most visible ambassador of the team.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)