[openstack-dev] [Trove] PTL Non-Candidacy

Nikhil Manchanda nikhil at manchanda.me
Wed Sep 16 09:20:41 UTC 2015

Hello all:

I'd like to announce that I will not be running for the position of
Trove PTL for Mitaka.

I've been PTL for 3 cycles now during which Trove has grown
immensely. We have added support for twelve different datastores --
enabling support for HA Trove instances through replication, failover
and clustering. The Trove team has also grown quite a bit over the
last 3 cycles -- we now have a healthy group of contributors from a
diverse set of companies, and reviews happening in a timely manner
keeping the project moving along. We've been able to accomplish what
we set out to do over the Juno, Kilo and Liberty releases and we
should be extremely proud of this as a team!

It's my opinion that I've been PTL of Trove for long enough now. The
OpenStack Heat team originally pioneered the idea of rotating the PTL
position frequently [1] and I absolutely agree with this viewpoint. I
believe that rotating the PTL doesn't just help with easing the
workload (since being a PTL can be more than a full time job) but also
helps develop crucial leadership talent on the team which is
extremely important. With the depth of talent that we have on the
Trove team, we're extremely lucky to have quite a few candidates whom
I think would be great choices for Trove PTL during the Mitaka cycle.

As for me, I definitely do still plan on being active in Trove during
the Mitaka cycle, and look forward to having more time to be more
hands on with contributions not just in Trove but across OpenStack.

To Mitaka and beyond!

Cheers,
Nikhil

[1]