[openstack-dev] [horizon] PTL Candidacy

David Lyle dklyle0 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 04:36:25 UTC 2015

I would like to announce my candidacy for Horizon PTL for Mitaka.

I've been contributing to Horizon since the Grizzly cycle and I've had the
honor of serving as PTL for the past four cycles.

Over the past couple of releases, our main goal has been to position Horizon
for the future while maintaining a stable, extensible project for current
installations and providing a smooth path forward for those installations.
Which is proving a delicate balancing act. In Kilo, we added a great deal
of toolkit for AngularJS based content and took a first pass at some AngularJS
driven content in Horizon. Much of the Liberty cycle was spent applying the
lessons we learned from the Kilo work and correcting architectural issues.
While the amount of AngularJS based content is not growing quickly in Horizon,
we have created a framework that plugins are building on.

We've had several successes in the Liberty cycle.
    We have a more complete plugin framework to allow for an increasing number
    of projects in the big tent to create Horizon content. The plugin framework
    works for both Django based and AngularJS based plugins.

    Theming improvements have continued and is now far more powerful.

    Many improvements in the AngularJS tooling. Including: sensible
    localization support for AngularJS code; a more coherent foundation for
    JavaScript code; better testing support; and an implemented JS coding
    style.

Areas of focus for the Mitaka cycle:
    Stability. Continue to balance progress and stability.

    Finding a better way to allow forward progress on AngularJS content inside
    of Horizon. I've been advocating the use of feature branches for some time
    and will look to push work there to help establish the patterns for
    Angular in Horizon.

    Continue progress in moving separable content out of the Horizon source
    tree. This will benefit both service teams to make faster progress, while
    reducing the overall scope of the Horizon project.

    Focus work on areas of high benefit. There are a several reasons we chose
    to adopt AngularJS. Most were around scaling, usability and access to
    data. Let's focus on the areas with the greatest upside first.

    Provide better guidance for plugins in the form of testing and style
    guidelines.

I'm still driven to continue the challenging work the Horizon community has
undertaken to improve and look forward. If you'll have me, I'd like to continue
enabling the talented folks doing the heavy lifting while balancing the needs
of existing users. I believe if we continue to work through some of these
transitional pains, we'll make significant progress in Mitaka.

Thanks for your consideration,
David Lyle