[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][devstack] New proposed 'default' network model

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue Sep 15 21:09:14 UTC 2015

Unfortunately, I haven't had enough chance to play with ipv6 yet.

I still think ipv6 with floating ip's probably makes sense though.

In ipv4, the floating ip's solve one particular problem:

End Users want to be able to consume a service provided by a VM. They have two options:
1. contact the ip directly
2. use DNS.

DNS is preferable, since humans don't remember ip's very well. IPv6 is much harder to remember then v4 too.

DNS has its own issues, mostly, its usually not very quick to get a DNS entry updated.  At our site (and I'm sure, others), I'm afraid to say in some cases it takes as long as 24 hours to get updates to happen. Even if that was fixed, caching can bite you too.

So, when you register a DNS record, the ip that its pointing at, kind of becomes a set of state. If it can't be separated from a VM its a bad thing. You can move it from VM to VM and your VM is not a pet. But, if your IP is allocated to the VM specifically, as non Floating IP's are, you run into problems if your VM dies and you have to replace it. If your unlucky, it dies, and someone else gets allocated the fixed ip, and now someone else's server is sitting on your DNS entry! So you are very unlikely to want to give up your VM, turning it into a pet.

I'd expect v6 usage to have the same issues.

The floating ip is great in that its an abstraction of a contactable address, separate from any VM it may currently be bound to.

You allocate a floating ip. You can then register it with DNS, and another tenant can not get accidentally assigned it. You can move it from vm to vm until your done with it. You can Unregister it from DNS, and then it is safe to return to others to use.

To me, the NAT aspect of it is a secondary thing. Its primary importance is in enabling things to be more cattleish and helping with dns security.

Thanks,
Kevin