[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron][devstack] New proposed 'default' network model

Mike Spreitzer mspreitz at us.ibm.com
Tue Sep 15 21:04:06 UTC 2015

"Armando M." <armamig at gmail.com> wrote on 09/15/2015 03:50:24 PM:

> On 15 September 2015 at 10:02, Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com>
wrote:
> Excerpts from Armando M.'s message of 2015-09-15 09:30:35 -0700:
> As with the Glance image upload API discussion, this is an example
> of an extremely common use case that is either complex for the end
> user or for which they have to know something about the deployment
> in order to do it at all. The usability of an OpenStack cloud running
> neutron would be enhanced greatly if there was a simple, clear, way
> for the user to get a new VM with a public IP on any cloud without
> multiple steps on their part.

<<<<<<end of excerpt from Armando>>>>>>

> So this boils down to: in light of the possible ways of providing VM
> connectivity, how can we make a choice on the user's behalf? Can we
> assume that he/she always want a publicly facing VM connected to
> Internet? The answer is 'no'.

While it may be true that in some deployments there is no good way for the
code to choose, I think that is not the end of the story here.  The
motivation to do this is that in *some* deployments there *is* a good way
for the code to figure out what to do.

Regards,
Mike