[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [Inspector] Finishing Liberty (was: final liberty cycle client library releases needed)

Dmitry Tantsur divius.inside at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 19:40:43 UTC 2015

> Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2015-09-15 17:02:52 +0200:
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > As you can see below, we have to make the final release of
> > python-ironic-inspector-client really soon. We have 2 big missing parts:
> >
> > 1. Introspection rules support.
> >     I'm working on it: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223096/
> >     This required a substantial requirement, so that our client does not
> > become a complete mess: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/223490/
>
> At this point in the schedule, I'm not sure it's a good idea to be
> doing anything that's considered a "substantial" rewrite (what I
> assume you meant instead of a "substantial requirement").

Oh, right. I can't English any more, sorry :)

> What depends on python-ironic-inspector-client? Are all of the things
> that depend on it working for liberty right now? If so, that's your
> liberty release and the rewrite should be considered for mitaka.

The only thing that has an optional dependency on inspector client is
ironic. Their interaction is well covered by gate tests, so I'm pretty
confident we're not breaking what is working now.

> > 2. Support for getting introspection data. John (trown) volunteered to
> > do this work.
> >
> > I'd like to ask the inspector team to pay close attention to these
> > patches, as the deadline for them is Friday (preferably European time).
>
> You should definitely not be trying to write anything new at this point.
> The feature freeze was *last* week. The releases for this week are meant
> to include bug fixes and any needed requirements updates.

Yeah, we (and especially I) should have done much better job managing our
schedule this cycle...

Having said that, I'm a bit worried that by marking the last release as
stable/liberty, we'll exclude majority of liberty features from the client.
Which might make this release somewhat useless for liberty downstream
consumers. I'm worried about downstream people (me included) having to
maintain their own stable/liberty based on the next release. What would you
advise we should do?

Thanks.

> > Next, please have a look at the milestone page for ironic-inspector
> > itself: https://launchpad.net/ironic-inspector/+milestone/2.2.0
> > There are things that require review, and there are things without an
> > assignee. If you'd like to volunteer for something there, please assign
> > it to yourself. Our deadline is next Thursday, but it would be really
> > good to finish it earlier next week to dedicate some time to testing.
> >
> > Thanks all, I'm looking forward to this release :)

-- Dmitry Tantsur