[openstack-dev] [all] [ptl] Troubleshooting cross-project communications

Christopher Aedo doc at aedo.net
Tue Sep 15 16:32:19 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 7:50 AM, Anne Gentle
<annegentle at justwriteclick.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What can we do to make the cross-project meeting more helpful and useful for
> cross-project communications? I started with a proposal to move it to a
> different time, which morphed into an idea to alternate times. But, knowing
> that we need to layer communications I wonder if we should troubleshoot
> cross-project communications further? These are the current ways
> cross-project communications happen:
>
> 1. The weekly meeting in IRC
> 2. The cross-project specs and reviewing those
> 3. Direct connections between team members
> 4. Cross-project talks at the Summits

5. This mailing list

> What are some of the problems with each layer?
>
> 1. weekly meeting: time zones, global reach, size of cross-project concerns
> due to multiple projects being affected, another meeting for PTLs to attend
> and pay attention to
> 2. specs: don't seem to get much attention unless they're brought up at
> weekly meeting, finding owners for the work needing to be done in a spec is
> difficult since each project team has its own priorities
> 3. direct communications: decisions from these comms are difficult to then
> communicate more widely, it's difficult to get time with busy PTLs
> 4. Summits: only happens twice a year, decisions made then need to be widely
> communicated

5. There's tremendous volume on the mailing list, and it can be very
difficult to stay on top of all that traffic.

> I'm sure there are more details and problems I'm missing -- feel free to
> fill in as needed.
>
> Lastly, what suggestions do you have for solving problems with any of these
> layers?

Unless I missed it, I'm really not sure why the mailing list didn't
make the list here?  My take at least is that we should be
coordinating with each other through the mailing list when real-time
isn't possible (due time zone issues, etc.)  At the very least, it
keeps people from holding on to information or issues until the next
weekly meeting, or for a few months until the next mid-cycle or
summit.

I personally would like to see more coordination happening on the ML,
and would be curious to hear opinions on how that can be improved.
Maybe a tag on the subject line to draw attention in this case makes
this a little easier, since we are by nature talking about issues that
span all projects?  [cross-project] rather than [all]?

-Christopher