[openstack-dev] [glance] proposed priorities for Mitaka

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 14:54:17 UTC 2015

On 15/09/15 08:30 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>Excerpts from Kuvaja, Erno's message of 2015-09-15 09:43:26 +0000:
[snip]
>> I'm not sure it really is so special API or technical wise, it's just the one that was lifted to the pedestal in this discussion.
>
>OK. I'm concerned that my message of "we need an interoperable image
>upload API" is sometimes being met with various versions of "that's not
>possible." I think that's wrong, and we should fix it. I also think it's
>possible to make the API consistent and still support background tasks,
>image scanning, and other things deployers want.

Yes, this is a discussion that started in this cycle as part of
this[0] proposed spec. The discussion was put on hold until Mitaka.
One of the concerns raised was whether it's ok to make tasks part of
the upload process or not since that changes some of the existing
behavior.

For example, right now, when an image is uploaded, it can be used
right away. If we make async tasks part of the upload workflow, then
images won't be available until all tasks are executed.

Personally, I think the above is fine and it'd give the user a better
experience in comparison w/ the current task API. There are other
issues related to this that require a lenghtier discussion and are not
strictly related to the API.

[0] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/188388/

Flavio

--