[openstack-dev] [glance] tasks (following "proposed priorities for Mitaka")

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Tue Sep 15 09:51:03 UTC 2015

On 14/09/15 16:09 -0400, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>Excerpts from Monty Taylor's message of 2015-09-14 20:41:38 +0200:
>> On 09/14/2015 04:58 PM, Brian Rosmaita wrote:
[snip]
>> If "glance import-from http://example.com/my-image.qcow2' always worked,
>> and in the back end generated a task with the task workflow, and one of
>> the task workflows that a deployer could implement was one to do
>> conversions to the image format of the cloud provider's choice, that
>> would be teh-awesome. It's still a bit annoying to me that I, as a user,
>> need to come up with a place to put the image so that it can be
>> imported, but honestly, I'll take it. It's not _that_ hard of a problem.
>
>This is more or less what I'm thinking we want, too. As a user, I want
>to know how to import an image by having that documented clearly and by
>using an obvious UI. As a deployer, I want to sometimes do things to an
>image as they are imported, and background tasks may make that easier to
>implement. As a user, I don't care if my image upload is a task or not.

IMHO, as much as it's not a _hard_ problem to solve, as I user I'd
hate to be asked to upload my image somewhere to create an image in my
cloud account. Not all users create scripts and not all users have the
same resources.

Simplest scenario. I'm a new user and I want to test your cloud. I
want to know how it works and I want to run *my* distro which is not
available in the list of public images. If I were to be asked to
upload the image somewhere to then use it, I'd be really sad and, at
the very least, I'd expect this cloud to provide *the* place where I
should put the image, which is not always the case.

Cheers,
Flavio

--
@flaper87