[openstack-dev] [all][TC] 'team:danger-not-diverse tag' and my concerns

Kuvaja, Erno kuvaja at hpe.com
Mon Sep 14 11:54:20 UTC 2015

<CLIP>

> Or are you suggesting it is preferable to hide that risk from our
> operators/users, to protect that project team developers ?
>
> --
> Thierry Carrez (ttx)

Unfortunately this seems to be the trend, not only in <insert any group here> but in society. Everything needs to be everyone friendly and politically correct, it's not ok to talk about difficult topics with their real names because someone involved might get their feelings hurt, it's not ok to compete as losers might get their feelings hurt.

While being bit double edged sword I think this is exact example of such. One could argue if the project has reason to exist if saying out loud "it does not have diversity in its development community" will kill it. I think there is good amount of examples both ways in open source world where abandoned projects get picked up as there is people thinking they still have use case and value, on the other side maybe promising projects gets forgotten because no-one else really felt the urge to keep 'em alive.

Personally I feel this being bit like stamping feature experimental. "Please feel free to play around with it, but we do discourage you to deploy it in your production unless you're willing to pick up the maintenance of it in the case the team decides to do something else." There is nothing wrong with that.

I don't think these should be hiding behind the valance of the big tent and the consumer expectations should be set at least close to the reality without them needing to do huge amount of detective work. That was the point of the tags in first place, no?

Obviously above is just my blunt self. If someone went and rage killed their project because of that, good for you, now get yourself together and do it again. ;)

- Erno (jokke) Kuvaja