[openstack-dev] [all][TC] 'team:danger-not-diverse tag' and my concerns

Flavio Percoco flavio at redhat.com
Mon Sep 14 07:37:27 UTC 2015

On 11/09/15 12:26 -0700, Joshua Harlow wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I was reading over the TC IRC logs for this week (my weekly reading)
>and I just wanted to let my thoughts and comments be known on:
>
>http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-09-08-20.01.log.html#l-309
>
>I feel it's very important to send a positive note for new/upcoming
>projects and libraries... (and for everyone to remember that most
>projects do start off with a small set of backers). So I just wanted
>to try to ensure that we send a positive note with any tag like this
>that gets created and applied and that we all (especially the TC)
>really really considers the negative connotations of applying that tag
>to a project (it may effectively ~kill~ that project).
>
>I would really appreciate that instead of just applying this tag (or
>other similarly named tag to projects) that instead the TC try to
>actually help out projects with those potential tags in the first
>place (say perhaps by actively listing projects that may need more
>contributors from a variety of companies on the openstack blog under
>say a 'HELP WANTED' page or something). I'd much rather have that vs.
>any said tags, because the latter actually tries to help projects, vs
>just stamping them with a 'you are bad, figure out how to fix
>yourself, because you are not diverse' tag.
>
>I believe it is the TC job (in part) to help make the community
>better, and not via tags like this that IMHO actually make it worse; I
>really hope that folks on the TC can look back at their own projects
>they may have created and ask how would their own project have turned
>out if they were stamped with a similar tag...

While I agree the wording might not be the best, I also think it
isn't, by any means, trying to send a message such as "Stay away from
this project".

The issue with diversity in projects is real and it not only affects
the project but the consumers of such project as well. Tags ought to
be objective and we should provide as much relevant information as
possible for both, the developers community and the users community.

You mentioned that this tag may kill the project but I'd argue that it
that could also help the project. One of the issues I believe we're
facing with the big tent is that everyone wants to be part of the show
- It was true even before the big tent, it's just that it's easier to
get in now - but one of the things we're lacking of is good
information about where contributions should go to. Having projects
with diversity issues tagged may actually help identifying places were
newcomers may want to go and contribute to.

In the Big Tent we don't just need new acts, we also need people
willing to participate in existing ones.

FWIW, Zaqar is one of the projects that would fall into the category
of the ones that would be tagged and I honestly think that'll be good
for the project as it's becoming a more relevant piece for other
projects and the tag may raise awareness of what issues the community
currently has.

To your point about helping projects grow and improve. I fully agree
but it's also important to note that the TC members are not holding
their hands. One thing that came out of Liberty is the
project-team-guide[0], which is not just a guide to "how be part of
OpenStack" but rather a guide that'll, hopefully, help projects build
a better and healthier community that can grow.

In summary, I agree that the tag could, perhaps, use a more positive
name but I disagree with your thoughts that it's a negative tag that
will just harm projects. I also agree the TC should help projects grow
as much as possible but it'd be unfair to say nothing has been done.

Again, tags ought to be objective and honest w.r.t *both* communities,
the users' and devs'. I'm happy you brought this up.

Cheers,
Flavio

[0] http://docs.openstack.org/project-team-guide/