[openstack-dev] [Tripleo][Heat][Nova][Ironic] Rich-network stuff and ironic hypervisor

Sergey Kraynev skraynev at mirantis.com
Sun Sep 13 11:56:25 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

Currently during implementation rich-network bp [1] (spec - [2]) we met
with issue on Tripleo
 [3]. As temporary solution patch [4] was reverted.

According traceback mentioned in bug description current issue related with
mac
 addresses which should be used for specific hypervisor [5] [6].
Previously in Tripleo, when we created vm without 'port-id' in networks
parameters, it was
 handled by Nova [7], so new port got mac address from list of allowed
addresses.

According rich-network BP, we want to use pre-created port (which we create
in Heat code
 directly) during booting VM. Unfortunately in this case validation
mentioned above fails due
 to different mac_addresses (for port and for hypervisor).

We discussed it with Derek, and it looks like for Tripleo  it's overhead
work to get such mac
 addresses and pass it in Heat template. Also I personally think, that it's
not user side issue,
i.e. we should solve it inside Heat code ourselves. So we probably need to
ask Nova Ironic driver (because we can not ask ironic directly from Heat)
for this information - about list
of allowed mac-addresses and then use it during creating port.

I have investigated Novaclient code, but did not met any ability to do it,
except make to_dict() for Hypervisor object, but I am not sure, that it
will be presented in this output.

So I'd ask Nova guys about some suggestions.
Also any thoughts are welcome.

[1] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/heat/+spec/rich-network-prop
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/130093
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/tripleo/+bug/1494747