[openstack-dev] [kolla][ptl] Kolla PTL Candidacy

Steven Dake (stdake) stdake at cisco.com
Sat Sep 12 14:43:46 UTC 2015

My Peers,

Liberty for Kolla was fantastically successful!  We held our first in person mid-cycle and entered the Big Tent governance process.  We successfully released 3 milestone releases within 3 days of deadline with increasing functionality.  I believe our Kolla release of rc1 on September 25th will deliver on the promises I made in my PTL candidacy which was to deliver a container deployment system that could deploy 100 node OpenStack cluster with controller, compute, storage and networking roles.  I wouldn’t have been able to do it alone, or even with the small team we had heading into Liberty.  A big thank you goes out to our community for your strong commitment to our success!

A leader’s job is to take the community on the trip they want to go on.    I’ve done a good job of balancing the various interests in Kolla to lead us to where I think people wanted us to be at the end of the cycle.  I think we are a bit ahead on all measures except functional testing.

For Liberty I wish to directly contribute to or facilitate the following actions:

  *   Continue to encourage diversity in our Community.
  *   Obtain real-world production deployments using Kolla.
  *   Grow out community of developers, reviewers, and operators.
  *   Execute functional testing of Kolla deployment by using a baby-steps strategy, first executing AIO, then two nodes, growing to ~5 node multi-node deployments.
  *   Containerize and deliver all Big Tent server projects with our Ansible deployment tooling.
  *   Radically improve our documentation to match the standards set by mature OpenStack Big Tent projects.
  *   Make the image building and functional gating voting(!) by delivering mirrors of our upstream software dependencies internally in OpenStack Infrastructure.
  *   Continue to provide excellent project management and improve our processes so that we may grow to use the release_managed[2] tag in the N release.

I am pleased to accept your vote and serve as your PTL for the Mitaka release cycle.  As a Community I am certain we can make Mitaka as successful as Liberty!

Regards
-steve

[1] http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-March/058930.html
[2] https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/tags/release_managed.rst