[openstack-dev] [all][TC] 'team:danger-not-diverse tag' and my concerns

gord chung gord at live.ca
Fri Sep 11 21:36:59 UTC 2015

On 11/09/2015 3:26 PM, Joshua Harlow wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was reading over the TC IRC logs for this week (my weekly reading)
> and I just wanted to let my thoughts and comments be known on:
>
> http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/tc/2015/tc.2015-09-08-20.01.log.html#l-309
>

> I feel it's very important to send a positive note for new/upcoming
> projects and libraries... (and for everyone to remember that most
> projects do start off with a small set of backers). So I just wanted
> to try to ensure that we send a positive note with any tag like this
> that gets created and applied and that we all (especially the TC)
> really really considers the negative connotations of applying that tag
> to a project (it may effectively ~kill~ that project).
>
> I would really appreciate that instead of just applying this tag (or
> other similarly named tag to projects) that instead the TC try to
> actually help out projects with those potential tags in the first
> place (say perhaps by actively listing projects that may need more
> contributors from a variety of companies on the openstack blog under
> say a 'HELP WANTED' page or something). I'd much rather have that vs.
> any said tags, because the latter actually tries to help projects, vs
> just stamping them with a 'you are bad, figure out how to fix
> yourself, because you are not diverse' tag.
>
> I believe it is the TC job (in part) to help make the community
> better, and not via tags like this that IMHO actually make it worse; I
> really hope that folks on the TC can look back at their own projects
> they may have created and ask how would their own project have turned
> out if they were stamped with a similar tag...

completely agree with everything here... i made a comment on the
patch[1] regarding this and was told the idea was that the purpose of
the tag was to note the potential fragility of a project if the leading
company were to decide to pull out. this seems like a valid item to
track but with that said, the existing wording of the proposal is not that.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/218725/

cheers,

--
gord