[openstack-dev] [puppet][keystone] Choose domain names with 'composite namevar' or 'meaningless name'?

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Fri Sep 11 20:26:02 UTC 2015

On 09/11/2015 01:03 AM, Gilles Dubreuil wrote:
> [...]
>    Cons
>      - Titles have no meaning!
>      - Cases where 2 or more resources could exists
>      - More difficult to debug
>      - Titles mismatch when listing the resources (self.instances)
>
> B.
>    Pros
>      - Unique titles guaranteed
>      - No ambiguity between resource found and their title
>    Cons
>      - More complicated titles
>
> Examples
> ----------
> = Meaningless name example 1=
> Puppet run:
>    keystone_tenant {'myproject': name='project_A', domain=>'domain_1', ...}
>
> Second run:
>    keystone_tenant {'myproject': name='project_A', domain=>'domain_2', ...}
>
> Result/Listing:
>
>    keystone_tenant { 'project_A::domain_1':
>      ensure  => 'present',
>      domain  => 'domain_1',
>      enabled => 'true',
>      id      => '7f0a2b670f48437ba1204b17b7e3e9e9',
>    }
>     keystone_tenant { 'project_A::domain_2':
>      ensure  => 'present',
>      domain  => 'domain_2',
>      enabled => 'true',
>      id      => '4b8255591949484781da5d86f2c47be7',
>    }
>
> = Composite name example 1  =
> Puppet run:
>    keystone_tenant {'project_A::domain_1', ...}
>
> Second run:
>    keystone_tenant {'project_A::domain_2', ...}
>
> # Result/Listing
>    keystone_tenant { 'project_A::domain_1':
>      ensure  => 'present',
>      domain  => 'domain_1',
>      enabled => 'true',
>      id      => '7f0a2b670f48437ba1204b17b7e3e9e9',
>     }
>    keystone_tenant { 'project_A::domain_2':
>      ensure  => 'present',
>      domain  => 'domain_2',
>      enabled => 'true',
>      id      => '4b8255591949484781da5d86f2c47be7',
>     }
>
> = Meaningless name example 2  =
> Puppet run:
>    keystone_tenant {'myproject1': name='project_A', domain=>'domain_1', ...}
>    keystone_tenant {'myproject2': name='project_A', domain=>'domain_1',
> description=>'blah'...}
>
> Result: project_A in domain_1 has a description
>
> = Composite name example 2  =
> Puppet run:
>    keystone_tenant {'project_A::domain_1', ...}
>    keystone_tenant {'project_A::domain_1', description => 'blah', ...}
>
> Result: Error because the resource must be unique within a catalog
>
> My vote
> --------
> I would love to have the approach A for easier name.
> But I've seen the challenge of maintaining the providers behind the
> curtains and the confusion it creates with name/titles and when not sure
> about the domain we're dealing with.
> Also I believe that supporting self.instances consistently with

+1

Although, in my limited testing, I have not been able to get this to
work with Puppet 3.8.  I've been following the link below to create a
keystone_tenant provider with multiple namevars (name and domain).  I
still can't figure out how to get puppet to think that

   keystone_tenant {'myproject1': name='project_A', domain=>'domain_1', ...}
   keystone_tenant {'myproject2': name='project_A', domain=>'domain_2', ...}

are different, distinct, unique projects.

I think it's going to take someone with a _lot_ of Puppet/Ruby
experience and a lot of time to develop something that will work for a
wide variety of scenarios.