[openstack-dev] [keystone] creating new users with invalid mail addresses possible

David Stanek dstanek at dstanek.com
Fri Sep 11 13:04:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 8:26 AM, Christian Berendt <christian at berendt.io>
wrote:

> At the moment it is possible to create new users with invalid mail
> addresses. I pasted the output of my test at
> http://paste.openstack.org/show/456642/. (the listing of invalid mail
> addresses is available at
> http://codefool.tumblr.com/post/15288874550/list-of-valid-and-invalid-email-addresses
> ).
>
> Is it intended that addresses are not be validated?
>
> Does it makes sense to validate addresses (e.g. with
> https://github.com/mailgun/flanker)?

I don't know the complete history of this (I'm sure others can chime in
later), but since Keystone doesn't use the email address for anything it
was never really considered a first class attribute. It is just something
we accept and return through the API. It doesn't even have its own column
in the database.

I don't like this for a variety of reasons and we do have a bug[1] for
fixing this. Last Thursday several of us were discussing making a database
column for the email address as part of the fix for that bug.

1. https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/1218682

--
David
blog: http://www.traceback.org