[openstack-dev] [Glance] python-glanceclient 1.0.x back compat for v2 proposal.

Nikhil Komawar nik.komawar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 19:48:11 UTC 2015

Hi all,

We have a review [1] that suggests adding backward compatibility to the
existing CLI, that is currently defaulting to v2, to be able to support
some v1 like parameters. We considered this option by consulting in
Cross Project Meeting, operators list, multiple developer meetings and
irc conversations. Here are some of the thoughts gathered from the
discussions and feedback:

1. It's been close to 10 days since this library was released and not a
lot of voluntary requests have come to add such back compat changes.
2. The number of different types of operators that have requested for
such changes are small based on the feedback received from operator ML.
Many of them have given alternative suggestions to make your scripts
work with the CLI.
3. python-glanceclient upgrades need to be done in staged manner and by
cross-checking the rel-notes or preferably commit messages if your
deployment is fragile to upgrades. A CI/CD pipeline shouldn't need such
back compat changes for long period of time.
4. Setting environment variables or by adding the version number to the
CLI parameters can help avoid breakage.
5. Working with documentation team to help the script writers change
their scripts and communicating the documentation of the necessity of
the change would help give a clearer picture. This is just a possibility
and hasn't fanned out into a concrete plan yet.
6. CLI 1.x.x onwards needs to be carefully changed and having to
backport all those changed and maintain them possibly for a long period
of time is not a feasible option for the existing stable community.
Also, having them there gives a wrong idea to the test writers against
specific versions.
7. We need to convey the message to the community that v2 is our
standard API (be it of server, client or CLI).

Although, there were good number of comments that negated the addition
of such functionality, we want to be empathetic towards our users. So,
all in all it was decided that we will delay the addition of such
commits at least until after stable/liberty. If the scriptwriters are
using the latest version then the CLI can have that behavior at later
point in time and such a change doesn't need to come into last minute
Liberty changes.

The thoughts belong to Flavio, Erno and Nikhil. Please direct any
specific questions to us.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/219802

Nikhil