[openstack-dev] [Ironic] Command structure for OSC plugin

Lucas Alvares Gomes lucasagomes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 09:23:17 UTC 2015

Hi,

> Disclaimer: I don't know much about OSC or its syntax, command
> structure, etc. These may not be well-formed thoughts. :)

Same here, I don't know much about OSC in general.

> So, many of the nova commands (openstack server foo) don't make sense in
> an Ironic context, and vice versa. It would also be difficult to
> determine if the commands should go through Nova or through Ironic.
> The path could be something like: check that Ironic exists, see if user
> has access, hence standalone mode (oh wait, operators probably have
> access to manage Ironic *and* deploy baremetal through Nova, what do?).

I was looking at the list of OSC commands [1], some I can think it
could be possible to map to Ironic functions are:

* openstack server create
* openstack server delete
* openstack server list
* openstack server show
* openstack server reboot
* openstack server rebuild

But when I go to the specifics, I find it hard to map all the
parameters supported for it in the Ironic context, i.e the "openstack
server list" command [2] supports parameters such as "--flavor" or
"--instance-name" to search by flavor or instance name wouldn't be
possible to be implement in Ironic at present (we don't keep such
information registered within the deployed Nodes); among other things
"--ip", "--ip6", etc...

So I think it may worth to do a better research about those commands
and it's parameters to see what can be reused in the Ironic context.
But, at first glance it also seems to me that this is going to bring
more confusion around the usage of the CLI than actually help by
having generic commands for different services.

[1] http://docs.openstack.org/cli-reference/content/openstackclient_commands.html
[2] http://docs.openstack.org/cli-reference/content/openstackclient_commands.html#openstackclient_subcommand_server_list

Cheers,
Lucas