[openstack-dev] [all] Something about being a PTL

Michael Krotscheck krotscheck at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 16:06:04 UTC 2015

Beautiful summary, Flavio, especially the points about creating new PTL's.
It's the bus-number argument: How many people have to get hit by a bus for
the project to falter? It's best to have a backup.

Also: Being a PTL is a full-time job.

>From working with current and former PTL's, I've noticed that it's almost
impossible to split your time between being a PTL and, say, being a member
of the TC, or working on an employer's private
feature/cloud/deployment/etc. For a far more eloquent explanation of why
this is, I defer to Devananda's wonderful non-candidacy email last spring.

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2015-April/062364.html

Not many people have the privilege of working for a company that supports
that level of upstream commitment. If your employer doesn't, send me your
Resumé ;).

Michael