[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Remove MOS DEB repo from master node

Alex Schultz aschultz at mirantis.com
Wed Sep 9 15:31:18 UTC 2015

Hey Vladimir,

> The idea is to remove MOS DEB repo from the Fuel master node by default
> and use online MOS repo instead. Pros of such an approach are:
>
> 0) Reduced requirement for the master node minimal disk space

Is this a problem? How much disk space is saved If I have to go create a
local mirror via fuel-createmirror?

> 1) There won't be such things in like [1] and [2], thus less complicated
> flow, less errors, easier to maintain, easier to understand, easier to
> troubleshoot
> 2) If one wants to have local mirror, the flow is the same as in case of
> upstream repos (fuel-createmirror), which is clrear for a user to
> understand.
>

>From the issues I've seen,  fuel-createmirror isn't very straight forward
and has some issues making it a bad UX.

> Many people still associate ISO with MOS, but it is not true when using
> package based delivery approach.
>
> It is easy to define necessary repos during deployment and thus it is easy
> to control what exactly is going to be installed on slave nodes.
>
> What do you guys think of it?

Reliance on internet connectivity has been an issue since 6.1. For many
large users, complete access to the internet is not available or not
desired.  If we want to continue down this path, we need to improve the
tools to setup the local mirror and properly document what urls/ports/etc
need to be available for the installation of openstack and any mirror
creation process.  The ideal thing is to have an all-in-one CD similar to a
live cd that allows a user to completely try out fuel wherever they want
with out further requirements of internet access.  If we don't want to
continue with that, we need to do a better job around providing the tools
for a user to get up and running in a timely fashion.  Perhaps providing an
net-only iso and an all-included iso would be a better solution so people
will have their expectations properly set up front?

-Alex