[openstack-dev] [horizon] Concern about XStatic-bootswatch imports from fonts.googleapis.com

Matthias Runge mrunge at redhat.com
Wed Sep 9 08:45:52 UTC 2015

On 03/09/15 21:02, Matthias Runge wrote:
> On 03/09/15 13:24, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> When doing:
>> grep -r fonts.googleapis.com *
>>
>> there's 56 lines of this kind of result:
>> xstatic/pkg/bootswatch/data/cyborg/bootstrap.css:@import
>> url("https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto:400,700");
>>
>> This is wrong because:
I'd like to raise an issue with roboto fontface.

xstatic package points to
https://github.com/choffmeister/roboto-fontface-bower/tree/develop/fonts

it's unclear, where those files are coming from. roboto font is
apparently coming from Google
https://www.google.com/fonts/specimen/Roboto

Unfortunately it's not clear, where .eot, .woff, .svg are coming from.
or how to recreate them form googles published .ttf files.

On the other side Googles repository doesn't have tags or releases at
all. That makes it hard to detect a newer release (there is no release).

Why do we care (about this)?

Packaging a software package can be compared to building a car in the
middle of nowhere, where you simply have a plan and maybe steel, and
some basic tools. But no access to postal service, no flying in special
tools, etc.
According to the plan, you're building the car. If you need a tool,
build that tool, too.

Matthias