[openstack-dev] [Neutron] cloud-init IPv6 support

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Tue Sep 8 20:35:31 UTC 2015

Excerpts from Nir Yechiel's message of 2014-07-07 09:15:09 -0700:
> AFAIK, the cloud-init metadata service can currently be accessed only by sending a request to http://169.254.169.254, and no IPv6 equivalent is currently implemented. Does anyone working on this or tried to address this before?

I'm not sure we'd want to carry the way metadata works forward now that
we have had some time to think about this.

We already have DHCP6 and NDP. Just use one of those, and set the host's
name to a nonce that it can use to lookup the endpoint for instance
differentiation via DNS SRV records. So if you were told you are

d02a684d-56ea-44bc-9eba-18d997b1d32d.region.cloud.com

Then you look that up as a SRV record on your configured DNS resolver,
and connect to the host name returned and do something like  GET
/d02a684d-56ea-44bc-9eba-18d997b1d32d

And viola, metadata returns without any special link local thing, and
it works like any other dual stack application on the planet.