[openstack-dev] [Manila] Feature Freeze

Ben Swartzlander ben at swartzlander.org
Tue Sep 8 15:08:00 UTC 2015

Manila reached its liberty feature freeze yesterday thanks to the heroic
work of the last few submitters and a few core reviewers who worked over
the weekend! All of the features targeted for Liberty have been merged
and nothing was booted out.

I would like to say that this has been a very painful feature freeze for
many of us, and some mistakes were made which should not be repeated. I
have some ideas for changes we can implement in the Mitaka timeframe to
avoid the need for heroics at the last minute. In particular, large new
features need a deadline substantially earlier than the ordinary FPF
deadline, at least for WIP patches to be upstream (this was xyang's idea
and it makes tons of sense). We can discuss the detail of how we want to
run Mitaka at future meetings or in Tokyo, but I wanted to acknowledge
that we didn't do it a good job this time.

Now that we're past feature freeze we need to drive aggressively to fix
all the bugs because the RC1 target date has not moved (Sept 17). This
is all the more important because our L-3 milestone is not really usable
for testing purposes and we need a release that QA-oriented people can
hammer on. This also means the client patches related to new features
all need to get merged and release in the next week too.

Also the CI-system reporting deadline blew by last week during the
gate-breakage-hell and I haven't had time to go check that all the CI
systems which should be reporting actually are. That's something I'll be
doing today and I'll post the driver removal patches for any system not
reporting.

-Ben Swartzlander