[openstack-dev] This is what disabled-by-policy should look like to the user

Mathieu Gagné mgagne at internap.com
Fri Sep 4 19:07:32 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-04 2:41 PM, Monty Taylor wrote:
> On 09/04/2015 01:42 PM, John Griffith wrote:
>>
>> ​Is no good?  You would like to see "less" in the output; like just the
>> command name itself and "Policy doesn't allow"?
>>
>> To Mathieu's point, fair statement WRT the visibility of the policy name.
>
> Totally agree on the policy name. The one I did happened to be clear -
> that is not always the case. I'd love to see that.
>
> But more to your question - yes, as an end user, I do't know what a
> volume_extension:volume_admin_actions:reset_status is - but I do know
> that I ran "cinder reset-state" - so getting:
>
> 'Cloud policy does not allow you to run reset_status"
>
> would be fairly clear to me.

Don't assume the user will run it from the (supposedly) deprecated
Cinder CLI. It could be from the new openstackclient or even an SDK
written in Ruby which might not name it "reset_status".

I would prefer a generic message over an overly specific message which
makes a lot of wrong assumption about the consumer.

--
Mathieu