[openstack-dev] [horizon] Concern about XStatic-bootswatch imports from fonts.googleapis.com

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu Sep 3 11:24:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

When doing:
grep -r fonts.googleapis.com *

there's 56 lines of this kind of result:
xstatic/pkg/bootswatch/data/cyborg/bootstrap.css:@import
url("https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto:400,700");

This is wrong because:

1/ This is a privacy breach, and one may not agree on hitting any web
server which he doesn't control. It's a problem in itself for packaging
in Debian, which is currently stopping me from uploading.

2/ More importantly (and even if you don't care about this kind of
privacy breach), this requires Internet access, which isn't at all
granted in some installations.

So I wonder if using bootswatch, which includes such a problem, is
really a good idea. Are these fonts import completely mandatory? Or can
I patch them out? Will the result be ugly if I patch it out?

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)