[openstack-dev] [puppet] hosting developer documentation on http://docs.openstack.org/developer/

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Wed Sep 2 19:00:50 UTC 2015

On 09/02/2015 02:53 PM, Colleen Murphy wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 11:09 AM, Emilien Macchi <emilien at redhat.com
> <mailto:emilien at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     TL;DR, I propose to move our developer documentation from wiki to
>     something like http://docs.openstack.org/developer/puppet-openstack
>
>     (Look at http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tempest/ for example).
>
>     For now, most of our documentation is on
>     https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Puppet but I think it would be great to
>     use RST format and Gerrit so anyone could submit documentation
>     contribute like we do for code.
>
>     I propose a basic table of contents now:
>     Puppet modules introductions
>     Coding Guide
>     Reviewing code
>
>     I'm taking the opportunity of the puppet sprint to run this discussion
>     and maybe start some work of people agrees to move on.
>
>     Thanks,
>     --
>     Emilien Macchi
>
> Please consider the Puppet Approved criteria[1] when making decisions
> about documentation. In particular, we should be making sure the README
> contained within the module is complete. Publishing .rst docs to
> docs.o.o is not a substitute.

+1 for how to use and consume our puppet modules.
But my proposal is about developer documentation which is related to
coding style, reviewing code manuals. Not how to deploy puppet-* itself,
but OpenStack things related. Tell me if I'm wrong and if it also should
live in README but I'm not sure here.

AFIK, Hunter and Cody are working on improving README doc to get modules
approved, during this sprint.