[openstack-dev] [Fuel] Code review process in Fuel and related issues

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 16:21:48 UTC 2015

On 09/02/2015 08:45 AM, Igor Kalnitsky wrote:
>> I think there's plenty of examples of people in OpenStack projects
>> that both submit code (and lead features) that also do code review
>> on a daily basis.
>
> * Do these features huge?

Yes.

> * Is their code contribution huge or just small patches?

Both.

> * Did they get to master before FF?

Yes.

> * How many intersecting features OpenStack projects have under
> development? (since often merge conflicts requires a lot of re-review)

I recognize that Fuel, like devstack, has lots of cross-project
dependencies. That just makes things harder to handle for Fuel, but it's
not a reason to have core reviewers not working on code or non-core
reviewers not doing reviews.

> * How often OpenStack people are busy on other activities, such as
> helping fellas, troubleshooting customers, participate design meetings
> and so on?

Quite often. I'm personally on IRC participating in design discussions,
code reviews, and helping people every day. Not troubleshooting
customers, though...

> If so, do you sure they are humans then? :) I can only speak for
> myself, and that's what I want to say: during 7.0 dev cycle I burned
> in hell and I don't want to continue that way.

I think you mean you "burned out" :) But, yes, I hear you. I understand
the pressure that you are under, and I sympathize with you. I just feel
that the situation is not an either/or situation, and encouraging some
folks to only do reviews and not participate in coding/feature
development is a dangerous thing.

Best,
-jay