[openstack-dev] [Blazar] Anyone interested?

Pierre Riteau priteau at uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 2 15:50:30 UTC 2015

On 1 Sep 2015, at 23:15, Sylvain Bauza <sbauza at redhat.com> wrote:

> Le 01/09/2015 22:31, Ildikó Váncsa a écrit :
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm glad to see the interest and I also support the idea of using the IRC channel that is already set up for further communication. Should we aim for a meeting/discussion there around the end of this week or during next week?
>>
>> @Nikolay, Sylvain: Thanks for support and bringing together a list of action items as very first steps.
>>
>> @Pierre: You wrote that you are using Blazar. Are you using it as is with an older version of OpenStack or you have a modified version of the project/code?
> I'm actually really surprised to see https://www.chameleoncloud.org/docs/user-guides/bare-metal-user-guide/ which describes quite fine how to use Blazar/Climate either using the CLI or by Horizon.
>
> The latter is actually not provided within the git tree, so I guess Chameleon added it downstream. That's fine, maybe something we could upstream if Pierre and his team are okay ?
>
> -Sylvain

We are using a modified version of Blazar (based on the latest master branch commit) with OpenStack Juno (RDO packaging).

The only really mandatory patch that we had to develop was for blazar-nova due to functions moving from oslo-incubator to oslo.i18n: https://github.com/ChameleonCloud/blazar-nova/commit/346627320e87c8e067db6e842935d243c9640e6e
On top of this we developed a number of patches, most of them to fix bugs that we discovered in Blazar, with a few to get specific features or behavior required for Chameleon.

We also used the code developed by Pablo (http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2014-June/038506.html) to provide an Horizon dashboard for creating and managing leases.
We even developed a Gantt chart of physical node reservations, but this code reads data straight from the SQL database rather than using a new Blazar API, so it cannot be contributed as is.

We have always wanted to contribute back our improvements to Blazar and we are looking forward to it now that there is renewed interest from the community.
All our OpenStack code should already be available on GitHub at https://github.com/ChameleonCloud/

Pierre