[openstack-dev] [oslo][versionedobjects][ceilometer] explain the benefits of ceilometer+versionedobjects

gord chung gord at live.ca
Tue Sep 1 18:31:42 UTC 2015

On 28/08/2015 5:18 PM, Alec Hothan (ahothan) wrote:

> On 8/28/15, 11:39 AM, "gord chung" <gord at live.ca> wrote:
>
>> i should start by saying i re-read my subject line and it arguably comes
>> off aggressive -- i should probably have dropped 'explain' :)

>>> If high performance is a concern for ceilometer (and it should) then maybe
>>> there might be better options than JSON?
>>> JSON is great for many applications but can be inappropriate for other
>>> demanding applications.
>>> There are other popular open source encoding options that yield much more
>>> compact wire payload, more efficient encoding/decoding and handle
>>> versioning to a reasonable extent.
>> i should clarify. we let oslo.messaging serialise our dictionary how it
>> does... i believe it's JSON. i'd be interested to switch it to something
>> more efficient. maybe it's time we revive the msgpacks patch[1] or are
>> there better alternatives? (hoping i didn't just unleash a storm of
>> 'this is better' replies)
> I'd be curious to know if there is any benchmark on the oslo serializer for msgpack and how it compares to JSON?
> More important is to make sure we're optimizing in the right area.
> Do we have a good understanding of where ceilometer needs to improve to scale or is it still not quite clear cut?

re: serialisation, that probably isn't the biggest concern for
Ceilometer performance. the main items are storage -- to be addressed by
Gnocchi/tsdb, and polling load. i just thought i'd point out an existing
serialisation patch since we were on the topic :-)

>>> Queue based versioning might be less runtime overhead per message but at
>>> the expense of a potentially complex queue version management (which can
>>> become tricky if you have more than 2 versions).
>>> I think Neutron was considering to use versioned queues as well for its
>>> rolling upgrade (along with versioned objects) and I already pointed out
>>> that managing the queues could be tricky.
>>>
>>> In general, trying to provide a versioning framework that allows to do
>>> arbitrary changes between versions is quite difficult (and often bound to
>>> fail).
>>>
>> yeah, so that's what a lot of the devs are debating about right now.
>> performance is our key driver so if we do something we think/know will
>> negatively impact performance, it better bring a whole lot more of
>> something else. if queue based versioning offers comparable
>> functionalities, i'd personally be more interested to explore that route
>> first. is there a thread/patch/log that we could read to see what
>> Neutron discovered when they looked into it?
> The versioning comments are buried in this mega patch if you are brave enough to dig in:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/190635
>
> The (offline) conclusion was that this was WIP and deserved more discussion (need to check back with Miguel and Ihar from the Neutron team).
> One option considered in that discussion was to use oslo messaging topics to manage flows of messages that had different versions (and still use versionedobjects). So if you have 3 versions in your cloud you'd end up with 3 topics (and as many queues when it comes to Rabbit). What is complex is to manage the queues/topic names (how to name them), how to discover them and how to deal with all the corner cases (like a new node coming in with an arbitrary version, nodes going away at any moment, downgrade cases).

conceptually, i would think only the consumers need to know about all
the queues and even then, it should only really need to know about the
ones it understands. the producers (polling agents) can just fire off to
the correct versioned queue and be done... thanks for the above link
(it'll help with discussion/spec design).

cheers,

--
gord