[openstack-dev] [ironic] 100% failure in pxe_ssh job

Lucas Alvares Gomes lucasagomes at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 11:32:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

> The current failure rate for the ironic pxe_ssh job is 100% -
> http://graphite.openstack.org/render/?from=-200hours&height=500&until=now&width=800&bgcolor=ffffff&fgcolor=000000&yMax=100&yMin=0&target=color(alias(movingAverage(asPercent(stats.zuul.pipeline.check.job.gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-pxe_ssh.FAILURE,sum(stats.zuul.pipeline.check.job.gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-pxe_ssh.{SUCCESS,FAILURE})),%2712hours%27),%20%27gate-tempest-dsvm-ironic-pxe_ssh%27),%27orange%27)
>
> The reason is something wrong with disk image builder and upstream ubuntu.
>
> Which raises a much more pressing issue, why is an ironic integration
> job building, from scratch a disk image builder image on every go (and
> connecting to the internet to do it)? Especially as this job sits on a
> bunch of other projects beyond ironic. Architecturally this is not sound
> enough to be a voting job.
>
> I'm proposing we make it non-voting immediately, and until it's redone
> so it's no long dependent on pulling images directly from upstream, we
> don't let it be voting.

Yeah, I had few time in the morning but I put a potential fix for that
problem here to test if would solve the problem:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/219199/

This is one of the main jobs for Ironic and it would be great if we
could keep it voting. Could we perhaps change the base OS to something
else until Ubuntu is fixed ? ( Fedora / CentOS / Debian )

Cheers,
Lucas