[openstack-dev] [magnum] Difference between certs stored in keystone and certs stored in barbican

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Tue Sep 1 05:02:32 UTC 2015

Simply put, Keystone is designed to generate  tokens that are to be used for authentication and RBAC. Systems like Kunernetes do not support Keystone auth, but do support TLS. Using TLS provides a solution that is compatible with using these systems outside of an OpenStack cloud.

Barbican is designed for secure storage of arbitrary secrets, and currently also has a CA function. The reason that is compelling is that you can have Barbican generate, sign, and store a keypair without transmitting the private key over the network to the client that originates the signing request. It can be directly stored, and made available only to the clients that need access to it.

We are taking an iterative approach to TLS integration, so we can gradually take advantage of both keystone and Barbican features as they allow us to iterate toward a more secure integration.

Adrian