[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Multi-ip use cases

Shraddha Pandhe spandhe.openstack at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 18:53:17 UTC 2015

Hi folks,

James Penick from Yahoo! presented a talk on Thursday about how Yahoo uses
Neutron for Ironic. I would like to follow up on one particular use case
that was discussed: Multi-IP support.

Here's our use-case for Multi-ip:

For Ironic, we want user to specify the number of IPs on boot. Now, we want
scheduler to find a network with sufficient IPs and then pick a host in
that subnet (Note: static IPs for baremetal). Now, when allocating network,
we want to assign all requested IPs from the same subnet as the host's
static IP. Also, we don't want to configure those IPs on the host. We only
want to display them on "nova show".

So basically we will only create one port for the host, and append all
fixed_ips in the ports fixed_ip list field.

Questions:
1. Hows do most people use the fixed_ips field in the port? What are
different ways you can populate multiple IPs in fixed_ips? One way I know
is, using neutron-client to create port, you can specify --fixed-ip as many
times as you want, and that will append fixed_ips to the port. Any other
way?

2. Is anybody else using multi-ip?