[openstack-dev] [cinder][nova] gate-cinder-python34 failing test_nova_timeout after novaclient 2.33 release

Matt Riedemann mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 28 18:44:33 UTC 2015

On 10/28/2015 12:28 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 10/28/2015 10:41 AM, Ivan Kolodyazhny wrote:
>> Matt,
>>
>> Thank you for bring this topic to the ML.
>>
>> In cinder, we've merged [1] patch to unblock gates. I've proposed other
>> patch [2] to fix global-requirements for the stable/liberty branch.

>> Regards,
>> Ivan Kolodyazhny,
>> http://blog.e0ne.info/
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2015 at 12:13 AM, Matt Riedemann
>> <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com <mailto:mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     On 10/28/2015 9:22 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
>>

>>         On 10/28/2015 9:06 AM, Yuriy Nesenenko wrote:
>>
>>             Hi. Look at https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239837/
>>
>>             On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Matt Riedemann
>>             <mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
>>             <mailto:mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>
>>             <mailto:mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com
>>             <mailto:mriedem at linux.vnet.ibm.com>>> wrote:
>>
>>                  That job is failing at a decent rate, tracking with bug:
>>
>>             https://bugs.launchpad.net/cinder/+bug/1510656
>>
>>                  It lines up with the novaclient 2.33 release on 10/27,
>>             I'm checking
>>                  out what the change was that caused the regression.
>>
>>                  This is a heads up that rechecks on this failure
>>             probably won't help.
>>
>>                  So far I haven't seen any related patches up to fix it
>>             although
>>                  there were already 2 bugs reported when I got in this
>>             morning.
>>
>>                  --
>>
>>                  Thanks,
>>
>>                  Matt Riedemann

>>         Heh, well that's 3 bugs then, I didn't see that one. jgriffith
>> and I
>>         were talking in IRC about just handling both exceptions in
>>         cinder to fix
>>         this but we also agreed that this is a backward incompatible
>>         change on
>>         the novaclient side, which was also discussed in the original
>>         novaclient
>>         wishlist bug that prompted the breaking change.
>>
>>         Given the backward compat issues, we might not just be breaking
>>         cinder
>>         here, so I've proposed a revert of the novaclient change with
>>         justification in the commit message:
>>
>>         https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239941/
>>
>>         At least with the cinder change above we're OK for mitaka, and
>>         logstash
>>         isn't yet showing failures for cinder in stable/liberty, but
>>         given the
>>         requirements there it will be a failure in cinder python34
>> tests in
>>         stalbe/liberty also - so we can backport the cinder fix or
>> block the
>>         2.33 novaclient version on stable/liberty global-requirements
>>         depending
>>         on what we do with the proposed novaclient revert.
>>

>>     I have an alternative to the revert here:
>>
>>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239963/
>>
>>     That makes novaclient.exceptions.RequestTimeout extend
>>     requests.Timeout so that older cinder continues to work.

> [...]

So the revert is merged [1] but now I'm stuck as to the version and/or
git commit to use for the next release.

The changes since 2.33.0 are:

mriedem at ubuntu:~/git/python-novaclient$ git log --oneline --no-merges
2.33.0..
63c7a57 Revert "Do not expose exceptions from requests library"
217e7c1 Updated from global requirements
0cd5812 Remove novaclient.v1_1 module

And when I requested the 2.33.0 release [2], it was on 217e7c1 but they
changed it to be w/o 0cd5812 because that is considered a backward
incompatible change. But it was released with 2961e82 which was the
backward incompatible requests exception change, which we now have a fix
for that we want to release, but would include 0cd5812.

So do we just release novaclient trunk as 3.0? We still have the g-r
blacklist changes for 2.33.0 in mitaka and liberty so we wouldn't be
using that version in tests (assuming that's merged in g-r). So then
people have to move up to 3.0 if they want the latest novaclient changes.

This is a bit gross.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239941/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/239450/

Matt Riedemann