[openstack-dev] [neutron][networking-sfc] API clarification questions

Cathy Zhang Cathy.H.Zhang at huawei.com
Wed Oct 28 08:12:42 UTC 2015

Hi Russell,

Please see my replies inline.

Thanks,
Cathy

-----Original Message-----
From: Russell Bryant [mailto:rbryant at redhat.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 4:21 PM
To: OpenStack Development Mailing List; Cathy Zhang; Henry Fourie
Subject: [neutron][networking-sfc] API clarification questions

I read through the proposed SFC API here:

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/networking-sfc/api.html

I'm looking at implementing what would be required to support this API in OVN.  I have a prototype, but I had to make some pretty big assumptions, so I wanted to clarify the intent of the API.

First, does it assume that all of the neutron ports in a chain are on the same Neutron network?  That keeps things simple.  If its intended to allow a chain of ports on different networks, is it just required that you pick ports that all have addresses routable from one port to the next in the chain?

Cathy> It can allow a chain of ports on different networks as along it belongs to the same tenant. Yes, it is required that you pick ports that all have addresses routable from one port to the next in the chain.

An arbitrary set of ports can't always work, so there has to be some bounds around what set of ports are valid to be in a chain.

Second, where is it expected that the match is applied?  The API for creating a port chain doesn't associate the chain with a network, but just matching "globally" doesn't make any sense.  If all ports are expected to be on the same network, is the match applied for any traffic entering that network from any port?

Cathy> As long as the ports are routable, they do not need to associated with the same network.

I'm in Tokyo this week, so if the group working on this would like to talk in person, that would be great too.

Cathy> Sure. I am going to the "Neutron: Extensibility mechanisms: Plugin and Agent" session. If you also plan to go, we can meet there. Or we can meet at tomorrow afternoon's "Neutron: NFV foundation elements"
session (Crown room at 4:30pm).

--
Russell Bryant