[openstack-dev] [nova] [searchlight] Difference in nova notifications versus API

McLellan, Steven steve.mclellan at hpe.com
Wed Oct 28 06:08:39 UTC 2015

Hi,

One of our questions this summit for Searchlight is whether we can reduce the time and effort required to index resources by getting as much information from notifications as possible.

Nova's API and notifications provide data in different formats; some information is missing and some is in different formats (1). In addition, notification information isn't versioned and can change at will. Currently we've taken the approach of treating the notification as a sign that something has happened and that we should get current state from the API.

We'd love to be able to process notifications directly, and have some assurance that the format won't change drastically without warning. Michael suggested i start a mailing thread, but we also have a session tomorrow set aside for these kinds of discussions with other projects (2). If anyone's available to join us that would be splendid.

Steve (apologies if this ends up getting sent twice)

(1) For instance, 'accessIPv4' vs 'access_ip_v4', 'name' vs 'displayname'; extension information and some networking info like security groups generally isn't in notifications; notifications return more image information than the API

(2) http://mitakadesignsummit.sched.org/event/1d1ef3b50d8d8607834697f0ef6d70d9#.VjBRWK4rJE4